Saturday, July 12, 2014

Dovetails : The symbol of Fine Woodworking

                                                           DOVETAILS

Since I started working and learning carpentry skills ( many years ago ) I always felt intrigued by the beauty and the clean effectiveness of this specific type of joinery.

Once I learnt the long history of this technique, it goes all the way back to the tombs of the Egyptian mummies and the Chinese Emperors, my liking of dovetails only grew.

With time I mastered all the different dovetails techniques, from half blind to sliding dovetail, by hand with a handsaw or with the help of a dovetail gig and a router, ( a lot more practical way for production on the real business world these days )


Dovetails joints are very strong, very difficult to pull apart and impossible to do when glued together


Every time I have to build drawers boxes from some type of solid wood, I praise the opportunity to get my dovetail gig out and get them done, always knowing I am building a piece that will last for generations using a technique that's nothing else than the symbol of Fine Woodworking.


These pictures are from the drawers boxes for a mud room project with two floor to ceiling Cherry cabinets that I am currently building.












No comments: